In My Head


Wednesday, March 15, 2006
I'm pressed for time this morning, so my observations about last night's show will be short and sweet:

Best Performance: tied between Taylor Hicks and Paris Bennett. Taylor did so well last night, but I still find myself distracted by all his tics and twitches. It's like watching someone having a grand mal seizure when this guy sings. Paris is a natural performer who makes it all seem effortless. But do we need another Fantasia? Hmmm.

Worst Performance: Kelly Pickler. She looked great but her song nearly put me to sleep. And she sounded way too country. No soul at all.

Simon must really have something against Kevin "Chicken Little" Covais, and I don't understand why. The kid's a decent singer, and he's only 16 for god's sake. I thought he kept up really well when he did "Part Time Lover," which is an EXTREMELY difficult song to sing. But Simon is out to get him. He'll been gone soon enough, though. He's good, but not good enough to last much longer.

Ace. Eek....not good last night. And he needs to brush his hair. Looked like he just rolled out of bed and onto the stage, and NOT in a good way.

I know that everyone drooled over Mandisa's performance, but it left me cold. I think it's because I expect more from her, since it's obvious she can really sing. In my opinion, not her best night.

Elliott sounded OK, but it was not his best performance ever. Still, I just love his voice. He's probably the only one of the twelve whose album I'd buy, if he were to make one.

Lisa Tucker, my early favorite, also sounded just OK.

Melissa "Butterface" McGhee: Even my husband, who doesn't usually comment on people's appearances, turned to me during her song and said, "Man, her face looks BEAT." Hee. She sang "Lately," one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs, and completely fucked it up. She forgot the lyrics at least twice during the song. I felt a little embarrassed for her.

Bucky looked like he had a nice hot oil treatment for his hair, finally! I found myself feeling a twinge of envy over his shiny, wavy locks. He did a better job than I thought he would with "Superstitious." Still, I don't see him going much farther.

Chris Daughtry is HOT, yo. He covered the Chili Peppers' cover of "Higher Ground" and sounded great! I did think his voice was drowned out a bit by the guitar, though. He's another one who is completely comfortable onstage. He'll definitely be in the final four.

Katharine McPhee: she's beautiful and she can sing...she was awesome last night. But that dress she wore brought her dangerously close to "Wardrobe Malfunction" territory. Anyway, I think she's the most attractive of the female contestants. Plus, her mother's a voice teacher, so KM's probably been singing before she could speak.

Either Kelly or Melissa will be going home tonight. Frankly, Melissa is a teensy, tiny bit more talented, despite the fact that she forgot the lyrics to her song. Because of that, I hope that Kelly is the one who gets the boot. But Kelly probably gets a lot of Southern votes. So we'll see.

As for last week's results, I was 50% right. So my predictions are 6 for 8 so far.

Labels: , ,


Posted by Lori at 3/15/2006 09:55:00 AM |

Site Meter