In My Head


Thursday, March 09, 2006
In the past few nights, I've caught bits and pieces of the new VH1 countdown show "I Love Toys." So naturally, now I have to bitch just a little bit about these kinds of shows on this station.

As far as I know, VH1 stands for Video Hits 1. But the only time they actually play music videos now is early in the morning (Jump Start) and during the Top 20 Countdown.

Remember when VH1 was really taboo? It was the television equivalent of an easy-listening radio station. You couldn't even admit that you watched it for fear of ruining your reputation. They played a grand total of five music videos back then, set on an endless loop: Phil Collins' "Do You Remember," Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy," Heart's "All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You," George Harrison's "I've Got My Mind Set on You," and Rod Stewart's "Downtown Train." Ugh.

Inexplicably, VH1 became cool in a kitschy way several years ago. I think the turning point was the original version of "I Love the 80s."

Talk about milking a good idea completely dry. The first "I Love the 80s" was really funny because it was offbeat and authentic. But instead of basking in the glow of an unexpected hit and then moving on to something new and different, the powers-that-be at VH1 took the same concept and applied it to the 70s (a few good moments, but not as funny) and the 90s (not funny at ALL, plus way too soon after the decade ended). Then they went back to the 80s not once, but twice more.

At this point, VH1 has totally jumped the shark. The fact that Flava-Flav now has his own reality show says it all, really.

And don't even get me started on MTV.

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Lori at 3/09/2006 10:09:00 AM |

Site Meter