In My Head


Wednesday, August 30, 2006
If you know me, then you know that I like to keep myself occupied at all times. I'm truly happiest when I have some kind of project to tackle. Nothing excites me more than a to-do list. It keeps me out of trouble (read: distracts me from my shopping addiction).

Obviously, home improvement projects have been keeping me considerably busy for the past year. We've done a lot of work to the house since we moved in last August: some basic landscaping, upgrades in the forms of new ceiling fans, lighting fixtures, and plumbing work, and TONS of painting. That's all well and good, but lately I've found myself wanting to engage in more cerebral pursuits.

My friend Christina recently emailed me and asked me to join her book club. I've also been investigating an advanced non-credit Spanish class at a local college, just because I love foreign languages and I miss using that part of my brain.

And then there's Toastmasters.

My career will soon be taking a turn that will require quite a bit of public speaking. I find that prospect at once exciting and utterly terrifying. Contrary to all outward appearances, I am really very quiet. Unless, of course, there are copious amounts of Bacardi involved. Last year, I blogged about the results of my Myers-Briggs personality type indicator (which I found to be DEAD-ON for me, incidentally) and I am a true INTJ--introverted to the extreme. Most days, my job requires me to be the total opposite of who I naturally am. It's almost like flipping a switch.

Anyway, back to the public speaking thing. I'm wondering if any of my (laughably few! but very loyal!!) readers has experience with Toastmasters. Are they really as cultish as they seem? I guess I should check out a few of my local chapters, just to see what exactly goes on in there.

Labels: , , ,


Posted by Lori at 8/30/2006 03:10:00 PM |

Site Meter