In My Head


Tuesday, April 04, 2006
I know I posted about this before, but I'm still stuck.

This past Saturday, our new sofa and chair for the basement arrived. They are upholstered in a brick reddish chenille. The sofa has two toss pillows upholstered in a geometric pattern, with little squares of the same color as the sofa, plus small chocolate brown and dark gold squares.

So what color should I paint the walls?

Here are some facts:

We are going for a cozy, masculine, pub-type of look.

The current carpet (which I hate) is a greyish-beige berber with little flecks of dark red, dark grey, and eggplant. Yuck, but I'll have to live with it for now.

The basement gets no natural light at all. The two windows down there are located in the unfinished part of the basement, behind closed doors. But there are many recessed lights in the ceiling of the finished portion of the room.

We're thinking of putting up chair rail moulding around the perimeter of the entire room.

I've been looking at a dark green with greyish undertones. Green is red's opposite on the color wheel, which supposedly is a good choice, according to many interior decorating websites I've seen. However, I'm afraid that putting a red sofa and chair against green walls will make it seem like Christmas year-round. Granted, the green is very dark, so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.

Then again, I've been looking at a chocolatey brown for the walls, a few shades lighter than the brown in the throw pillows.

Also, should I paint the wall two different colors if we do wind up installing a chair rail? Like a darker color on the bottom half of the wall and a lighter color on the top half?

Usually I am pretty good at picking colors and pulling a decorating scheme together. I don't know why I'm struggling so much this time. I think it's because the walls are currently two different but equally garish shades of robin's egg blue. It looks like a Smurf threw up all over the basement. If the walls were off-white, it would probably be easier to make a decision.

I promise I'll post some photos soon.

Labels: ,


Posted by Lori at 4/04/2006 09:33:00 AM |

Site Meter