In My Head


Monday, April 23, 2007
I'm shamelessly taking this from Teri's blog...

Five Questions

What is the single best piece of advice you’ve ever been given, and who gave it?

Ha. I don’t take advice well…mostly because I’m the kind of person who likes to figure things out for herself. A few years back, I was taking a business management class online and had to read The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz for the class discussion. This book blew me right out of the frickin’ water. So here are the four agreements (and yes, I’m cheating because I consider it all one “piece” of advice!):

Be impeccable with your word - Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
Don’t take anything personally - Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
Don’t make assumptions - Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
Always do your best - Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

What was the last thing you purchased for yourself, and what do you think you will purchase next?

I bought myself an automatic iced tea maker and love it. Yes, I’m a dork. My next major purchase will be either a mountain bike or satellite radio. Or both. Still not sure.

In your humble opinion, the Best! Invention! Ever! Is…

Modern plumbing. Gotta love it. I’m totally grateful for that every single day.

What makes Lori happy? What makes Lori sad?

I’m a fairly happy person, and I try to find joy in everything I do. Happiness is a choice, and it’s a brave choice, I think…it’s much easier to stay miserable and bitch about how unhappy you are than to consciously work at being happy. Don’t you think?

That being said, music makes me VERY, VERY happy, and I couldn’t imagine life without it. The internet makes me happy. My family and friends make me happy. Animals make me happy. Beautiful weather makes me happy. Reading a good book makes me happy. Writing makes me happy. Cooking, gardening, learning new things, working out, doing crossword puzzles, taking long walks…all very good stuff.

The older I get, the more I realize that material things don’t factor too much into the happiness equation. At least not for me.

Death of loved ones saddens me. Needless suffering. Child and animal abuse not only make me sad, but piss me the hell off, too. The news saddens me most of the time…I’ve voluntarily given that up for the moment…it’s just too much for me to handle.

What character on TV do you identify with most?

TV’s crap and I try to avoid it as much as I can, unless it’s educational. And let’s not broach the embarrassing topic of my American Idol addiction.

So I really couldn’t answer this question. Sorry!

I'm tagging anyone who wants to play...

Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Lori at 4/23/2007 11:56:00 PM |

Site Meter