In My Head


Tuesday, May 16, 2006
When I'm bored, one of my favorite online pasttimes is checking out the Missed Connection postings on Philadelphia's Craigslist site. Some postings are hopelessly romantic, some wistful, some funny, some angry, and some are just plain crazy. Reading these postings satisfies my need for drama, romance, deception, and sex without the mess of actually being involved in any of it.

A typical posting on Missed Connections goes something like this (some of these are actual postings):

Hot guy on bicycle - West River Drive - Sat. 5/13 (w4m): Our eyes met briefly when I nearly mowed you down with my convertible. You were really cute! Plus your ass looked great in spandex. Pls email me if you read this!

Or:

Leah B. - You stole from me. You are a theif (sic). Everyone will know how evil you are & how many drugs you are on. Crack, heroin, where do you want me to stop. give me back my money!

And the occasional:

Nugget Sauce - Biggity B! MySpace my ass! PJ MD wants to rock it with you all night! I want to dip my nugget in your sauce! You feel me...ouch!

Or:

Richard K. - Liar Liar Liar. If you are dating him, most likely he is already seeing someone else and cheating on them too. If he says he has changed, here is a tip:
-go through his wallet and check for his receipts.
-the nights he says he is somewhere, check up on it. Most likely he is not there.
-But the best one of all! Get his passcode to his voicemail and check his messages! It will soon be all clear to you!
Warn other women!

OK, the last three were real. The first one I completely made up.

On occasion, I have seen names of people that I recognize on Missed Connections. About a year ago, I saw a posting with the name of the sister of a girl who went to my grade school. It was posted by her prom date from 1989. He was looking for her. So I responded to him and told him that I knew who he was talking about, but that she was no longer in the area and that she was married with kids.

He went BERSERK -- it seemed like he was really obsessed with her. I received multiple emails from him for about three weeks, trying to pump me for more information. Which I truly did not have, and even if I did, I would certainly never pass on to a stranger. Eventually I had to put him on my ignore list because he was getting nasty with me.

Then, about a month ago, I saw another posting from him on Missed Connections, asking about her again. This time I just clicked right past it.

I always wonder if someone I know will ever post about me in MC. Guess I'll have to keep reading...

Labels: , , , ,


Posted by Lori at 5/16/2006 11:20:00 AM |

Site Meter