In My Head


Thursday, July 20, 2006
Since I was a little girl, I have had a keen interest in language. I began to teach myself how to read at about age 3. English was always my favorite subject, at least until I reached high school, at which point I began taking formal Spanish lessons. Accents particularly fascinate me. I often listen carefully to people and try to guess where they live, or at least where they were raised.

So it should come as no surprise that I absolutely ADORE hearing British people speak. I could listen for hours on end. Sadly, there is a dearth of Brits in my life, so when I come upon one I am especially delighted. One such person is our cats' veterinarian, Dr. Nicol. Every time I bring Bailey and Sebastian to the vet for their check-up, I make sure to request him. The Huz thinks I'm crazy.

Last week, I took the cats in for their rabies and distemper shots. As Dr. Nicol carefully inspected them and took their vitals, I stood across the exam table from him, completely entranced as he spoke, with a silly grin plastered across my face. He probably thinks I'm crazy, too.

Yesterday, I received a follow-up phone call from Dr. Nicol about the results of Bailey's blood test. I can't say that I remember much of the actual content of our discussion. I sat at my desk and murmured "mmm-hmm" and "okay" as he spoke. I must have looked like quite a sight, because after I hung up the phone, one of my coworkers asked me what was so funny. Apparently I was grinning like an idiot again.

Then The Huz called. When I mentioned that the vet had called about Bailey's blood test, he wanted to know the outcome.

"Uh...I think he said it was fine," I responded.

"What? You don't know what the results were?" The Huz demanded. "Why not?"

So naturally I had to break down and confess that I didn't remember a thing about our conversation. I just remembered how it sounded! Which, to my Anglophilic ears, was perfectly lovely.

PS - This love does not extend to Americans imitating a British accent, unless they are REALLY good at it. Example: Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones' Diary was good. Outstanding, in fact. Madonna, not so much. And Joaquin, my darling, your accent in Gladiator was atrocious. Sorry, luv.

Labels: , , , , ,


Posted by Lori at 7/20/2006 10:40:00 AM |

Site Meter