In My Head


Monday, October 15, 2007
Welp, this is it...the last week of my twenties. I'll be turning thirty on Sunday.

Before I fell asleep last night, I was laying in bed thinking of all the things that have happened to me in the past decade.

I was expelled from college and began my career at Vanguard as a result of that.

I made lots of new friends, strengthened existing friendships, and ended some others. I also reconnected with some old friends from high school, which is awesome.

I studied for and successfully passed examinations for three investment licenses, a state life insurance and annuities license, and a professional designation from ASPPA.

I quit smoking--both tobacco and the green stuff.

I witnessed the deaths of my maternal grandparents, as well as other relatives and a few friends.

I put my childhood dog to sleep.

I was questioned by the FBI (long story!!).

I got married.

I went through the home-buying process twice.

I did extensive remodeling and redecorating in two homes.

I've changed jobs four times.

I volunteered with a cat rescue group and adopted two cats.

I fostered a retired racing greyhound.

I took singing lessons.

I took archery lessons.

I took a public speaking class.

I got fired.

My writing was published as an addendum to a popular chick-lit novel.

I traveled to Aruba, Disneyworld, Sedona, Flagstaff, Lake Havasu, Oatman, Needles, Phoenix, the Grand Canyon (twice), Las Vegas (twice), Jamaica, Charlotte, Asheville, Rochester, Binghamton, Niagara Falls, Baltimore, Toronto, and Manhattan. Oh, yeah...can't forget the Jersey shore and the Delaware and Maryland beaches.

I lived for almost a month by myself in a hotel in Danville, PA, while I worked in the home office of my current firm.

I went to many, many concerts: Foo Fighters (three times), Alicia Keys (twice), The Who (three times), Fleetwood Mac, Goo Goo Dolls, Amber, John Mayer, Steely Dan, Michael Buble (twice), Def Leppard (twice), Journey, Styx, Destiny's Child, Stevie Nicks, Enrique Iglesias. Plus more that I'm sure I've forgotten here.

I've done a whole lot of living in the last ten years. Life has been great for me! I realize how fortunate I am to have been able to experience all of it, and I don't take anything for granted.

I've read that your thirties is when you start to come into your own, especially for women, and I've been feeling that way for the past few months. Things are falling into place for me nicely. I'm calmer, happier, more fulfilled, and more confident than ever. I feel like a responsible adult, and I like it. Sure I've made mistakes along the way, but I truly have no regrets about anything...just lessons learned.

That's not to say that I'm heading into my next decade completely fearless. I worry a lot about my parents and my in-laws as they grow older. I also wonder whether I'll have children. But I've decided not to allow fear to paralyze me and to just enjoy each day as it comes.

I would love to hear any words of wisdom here from those who've gone before me...please share them in my comments!

Labels: , ,


Posted by Lori at 10/15/2007 12:57:00 PM |

Site Meter